Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

Last night James, Ryland and I went to Fort Gordon to see the fireworks. It was Ryland's first year seeing them. I usually don't like going b/c it's hot, crowded and takes forever to get home. We haven't gone to Fort Gordon in a long, long time so I said "why not?". We usually go to the lake.

Let me tell you, I am so glad we went! There was plenty of parking and plenty of ground. It had cooled down and there was a nice breeze. We took our chairs and Ryland's stroller and found a nice area to sit. We got cotton candy, drinks and let Ryland walk around and show off for us. He loved the cotton candy, like his daddy! There was a lot of people, but the field is so big, you didn't feel crowded. Once it got dark and the moon and stars were out, Ryland decided to 'reach for the stars'. It was so cute, seeing him jump and then say "can't reach the stars".

Once the fireworks started, Ryland was in James's lap. He didn't like them and started saying "go home" and "all done" over and over. He also said they were "too bright", so James gave his sunglasses to Ryland to wear. He finally calmed down and would tell James the different colors. It was the longest firework show I've ever seen and they were great!

We did have a wait when we left, but we were all in good moods, so it was an enjoyable wait. I'm so glad we went.

Seeing all the men and women in uniform made me stop and think about how amazing they are to sign up to protect our country. And to go to war for us. I am very thankful for each of them.

In the words of Lee Greenwood -- I'm proud to be an American!!!

No comments: