Friday, December 18, 2009

Happy Birthday Sweet Baby Boy

"I not a baby...I a big boy!". That's what Ryland will tell you!

Ryland turned 3 on Tuesday and it was very emotional for me. I was reminisicing about where I was 3 years ago and the tears began. I can still remember that morning, going in for a scheduled c-section and that night, holding a beautiful baby boy (A RED HEADED BABY) that God blessed me and James with. I remember how exciting it was for all my friends and family to come see Ryland. I remember that I didn't have a clue when it came to nursing and I loved the apple juice there. I remember how excited I was to have breakfast in bed and everyone wait on me. :o) I loved staying at the hospital. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one!

I remember how proud and protective James was after being a daddy for only hours. And how that was the day that I became a germaphobe. What wonderful feelings...why would I cry about that? I guess it's just that I was sooooo thankful for having a healthy child.

December 2, 2001 was the day that James and I lost our first baby due to miscarriage. A couple of years later, I can remember walking up to the hospital, going to another doctor visit for testing and looking up at the nursery windows from outside. I told the Lord that one day, I was going to stand on the INSIDE of those windows and look out and thank HIM for blessing us with a baby. After 5 years of trying, praying, hoping, pleading and finally just giving up, God blessed us with our miracle baby. I was blessed with no morning sickness, a great pregnancy and a full term baby. The second night of being in the hospital, James and I went for a walk around the halls. We decided to stop and look at all the other babies that had been born. I stopped at those nursery windows, remembering my talk with the Lord many years earlier and just started crying. Here I was, on the INSIDE, looking out because God had blessed me with a new baby. I told James I needed a minute and I spent time thanking God. That brings me to tears even now.

I know that I say I am so thankful for Ryland all the time, but I don't think I'll ever be able to thank God enough for the opportunity to be a parent.

I can honestly say I have not rushed Ryland in growing up. I want to cherish each stage...even the tantrums...because time really does go by fast.

Happy Birthday sweet boy! I love you!


2 Days Old

1 year birthday


2 year birthday


3 year birthday


5 comments:

Kim said...

Shannon,
What a beautiful post. I was crying as I read it because I could feel your heart in each word and your love for the Lord and Ryland in it also. You and James are so blessed to have Ryland in your lives just as so many of the rest of us are who are parents and have the children God has blessed us with. It broke my heart to read about you standing on the
"outside" but my heart was so filled with joy when I got to the part where God in His gracious, love put you on the "inside"! Ryland is truly a gift from God and is blessed to have you as his mother.

Shannon said...

Thank you Kim. I was hoping it would make sense to others. All of our children are definitely a gift from the Lord!

Annette said...

Shannon,

As I sit here holding my 3 day old son, I am so reminded of how quickly time does fly(my 4 and almost 6 year old are reminding me of that daily) I felt your heart in every word of this post. Thank you for not being ashamed to give our God all the credit He is due. Every child is gift and a miracle in and of itself and only few will ever recognize the truth of that like you. Happy Birthday Ryland.

Shannon said...

Thanks Annette, and congrats again on that sweet baby boy!

churchillclan said...

Oh my! I just don't even know what to say Shannon, except that God is good, and even when we don't want to hear it and don't believe it, His timing IS perfect. It's easy to say that after you have walked through the fire. I love you girl and I love this precious boy!